What's in the Guide
Welcome to the Health Sciences Guide to Continuing Nursing Education.
These pages contain resources for University of Washington nurses and nursing students to seek multiple sources for instituition required continuing professional education. See the School of Nursing's Continuing Education Calendar for more resources. Use the tabs to navigate through the pages of this guide.
- UW CNE - continuing education offerings provided by the University of Washington's School of Nursing.
- Health Sciences Library Web Sources - continuing nursing education opportunities available through the Health Sciences Library's web resources.
- Online Sources - opportunities for continuing nursing education offered online through commercial sources.
- Conferences - links to calendars of live CNE offerings.
Washington State Continuing Competency Information
Current Washington State continuing competency information can be found here:
Washington State continuing competency rules are moving ahead and scheduled for implementation January 1, 2011. "The draft rules require completion of 531 hours of active nursing practice and 45 hours of continuing education every three years...The three years will start Jan. 1, 2011, and renew every three years thereafter on the nurse's birth date" (Cumiskey, 2010).
Please see the following websites to follow the progress of the implementation process:
Cumiskey, C. (2010). Continuing competency update. Washington Nursing Commission News, 4(2), 20. Retrieved from http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/professions/nursing/documents/summer2010.pdf
Health Sciences Librarians
- Seattle Campus Health Sciences Librarians (info)
- CCC/UW Bothell Campus Nursing Library Liaison (info)
- UW Tacoma Campus Nursing Library Liaison (info)